Friday, November 9, 2007

The Hospital

The pampas tour, pampas, jungle, mosquitos, other insects. A day after the tour I found two ticks on my body and removed these small ones myself. Arriving in copacabana I just discovered another just below my belly button, but this one had already grown. Together with my Swiss friends (Anja and Cristina), who also were my company on two hikes in the past two days I started ´the hospital adventure´.

After discovering the tick we decided to go to a farmacie, since it already was quite big I did not dare to remove it myself. At the farmacie they couldn´t help and told me to go to the hospital. I really thought, a hospital for a tick bite, crazy!!

Arriving at the hospital there really was a herd of people waiting outside. I even had doubts of going, but they opened the gate for me as a gringo and we were directed to a waiting room. After approx 20 minutes I was called in ´the doctors office´. The girls outside were really wondering what was going on, a lot of white coats entering the room.. First two nurses admired the tick. One walked away with an ieyyyyyy. Then the doctor came in, got his operating kit and started his procedure. There were three white coats surrounding me, (earlier on even four, admiring the tick) and with some alcohol and more alcohol, explaining it to the others and then getting it out.. Yes, succeeded, he showed me the head... Then he dotted half my body in jodium, on jodium dot and suscribed me antibiotics, a total of 20 pills..

When exiting the operating room the girls were wondering what happened.. Well, we had a good laugh.. Then I moved on to get the antibiotics and pay for the consult.. Don{t be shocked by the immense amount.. 45 Bolivianos, or 4,50 euro´s, even less...

About the hike, that will follow, I´m leaving Bolivia tomorrow for Equador..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Marcel,

Leuk man, dat je naar Ecuador gaat! Geniet dr maar van. Ik ga dit weekend denk ik naar Tena. Jij al plannen? Nou kom maar keer langs anders. Onze school zit op de Juan Leon Mera y Lizardo Garcia Ecole Travel & Idiomas. (in Mariscal ja!)Iedereen weet wel wat dat is en je komt er vanzelf terecht bij wijze van.

Spannend verhaal hoor van je naar het ziekenhuis haha.

Groetjes!