Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Monteverde

Welcome to the USA, hmm, oops, I meant Costa Rica. It really is so easy to get confused, since there are more Americans around then Costa Ricans.. But, well, in the USA there are no Toucans, so this must be Costa Rica..

A bit of Sarcasm from my side, but it practically feels like that. A touristy place,
primarily oriented in the American tourist that is here for a few days. If I hadn´t had my flight from here I´d probably be on my way to Nicaragua and Guatemala by now. It is not about the country, its beauty (eventhough I´m probably a spoiled bastard, since compared to the others Costa Rica is less fascinating), but about the extreme commercialization.

Monteverde, one of the primary cloud forests of Costa Rica, a rich vegetation, a windy place. There are two parks here, the Monteverde and Santa Elena Reserve. Yesterday I walked up the Monteverde Reserve, 7 km there, 7 km back and an approximate 11 km around the 15$ entry park. At the park I did not spot any wildlife, neither did most people. Just flowers, amazing winds and clouds raging past me. The views were good, but there is an architect walking around creating ´interesting´ passes for tourists, while most of it is really paved. To me a disappointment, since all I´ve been through.

The hike to (I was the only idiot that did so, steep hills, everyone else took a taxi or jeep) and from the reserve was about best. Merely because here I spotted wildlife, a Toucan, Bobo and Sloth (luiaard).

Today I had another shorter hike and tomorrow I´ll be off to Arenal/Volcano, even more touristy. Here I´ll stay here for probably a week, since I don´t want to visit the beach. (I want to go home with the image of the San Blas in my mind, the best memory of the beaches) Then two more nights San José and fly home.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

moooi en magical zeg! En een luiaard! SUPER! well done. Geniet van de laatste dagen... PS

Anonymous said...

Hoi Marcel
Wat weer een mooie foto's. De CD's zijn er nog niet. Het is aftellen geblazen. Nog een dikke week en je komt weer in het druilerige Nederland. Wij zijn blij om je volgende week zaterdag te mogen ontvangen op Schiphol.Jij zult er misschien anders over denken en nog meer willen beleven.Na ontspanning komt weer inspanning en dat kan weer leiden tot ontspanning.Veel plezier nog de laatse week.

Groeten

Pa en Ma

Anonymous said...

he lieve schat, dank voor je berichtje.. blij en as usual weer verbaasd over jouw lievigheid.. jajaja, ik zou het nu toch wel al moeten weten.. t gaat beter inmiddels, just so u know ;)
prachtig weer, die foto's! geniet nog even, en sla je gedachten en plaatjes van nu goed op voor later!! xx Juul

Anonymous said...

Als ik niet beter wist, zou ik zeggen dat je een hekel hebt aan toeristen! :-)

Anonymous said...

mr toekan, de luie luiaard, je bent in het land waar tietiedietietiedora woont of niet ? ; ) hahaha

ziet er weer prachtig uit daar. nog ffies hè...

Anonymous said...

Lief, de berichtjes van je vader en moeder :)
Druilerig of niet, het zal vast een warm welkom zijn.

Ik wens je een paar heel fijne laatste dagen en een voorspoedig flying away home.